Students' Events at Past ISIE Conferences
2013 ISIE International Conference
25-28 June, 2013 Ulsan, South Korea
Official site: http://isie2013.ulsan.ac.kr/main/
* ISIE Poster session and student competition
* The 3rd Symposium on Industrial Ecology for Young Professionals - June 29, 2013
9:00 Registration with Coffee & Cakes
9:15 Intro & Keynote Address
10:00 Workshop Session 1
13:00 Select YP presentations (5x ca 15 minutes each)
14:30 Workshop Session 2 (with coffee)
15:30 Poster Session & Judging
17:00 Poster and Ad-hoc-a-thon prize ceremonies
* Student Social Evening – Wednesday, June 26 from 7pm
Join the student chapter for dinner and fun out on the town!! Register at the conference.We will have preliminary bookings for 30 persons at a restaurant and plan to continue afterward.
* Official ISIE Student Chapter meeting – Thursday, June 27th 12:30-13:30 Lunch break
During this lunch meeting we would like everyone to give input to what they would like the ISIE student chapter to work with – preparing our organization for a productive and exciting future.
* Ad-Hoc-A-Thon Evening – Thursday, June 27 8pm to midnight
Join other researchers, developers, and idea makers for an evening of idea generating for the use of ICT for industrial ecology! The activities with the ad-hoc-a-thon will continue on Saturday with a workshop, judging and awards. The main objective of the ad-hoc event is to get new collaborations kick started. So bring your ideas, your open data sets, your enthusiasm, and build new teams for the future! More information here:
2011 ISIE International Conference
07-10 June 2011 Berkeley, CA, USA
* Poster Competition: Those of you presenting posters at the conference can enter the Student Poster Competition, with cash prizes sponsored by ISIE. To enter, email the following information to Yu (Vivian) Li at firstname.lastname@example.org: poster submission ID, poster title, author name(s), email address, student status and affiliation by May 25th.
* Annual Student Chapter General Meeting: June 9 from 1-2 pm in the Theater (main conference hall). All students are invited to attend the Student Chapter General Meeting, where we will discuss the recent and upcoming activities of the Student Chapter, talk about how you can get involved, and elect new board members.
* Unofficial Student Meet-Up at Raleigh's Bar & Grille: June 9 at 7pm. Join your fellow students for a drink and a chance to mingle in an informal setting on June 9 after the Poster Session at Raleigh's Bar & Grille (2438 Telegraph Avenue, half a mile from the Clark Kerr Campus). Note that this is an unofficial event, which means you buy your own drinks. Wear your name-tag so we know who you are!
* Symposium on Industrial Ecology for Young Professionals: One-day student workshop on June 11, on the Clark Kerr Campus. For more information see http://tinyurl.com/3q3jwul.
For more information, please don't hesitate to contact Catherine Izard at email@example.com.
2009 ISIE International Conference
21-24 June 2009 Lisbon, Portugal
Student Poster Competition
The 2009 ISIE Conference will take place on June 21-24 in Lisbon, Portugal. If you are a student and your abstract has been accepted as a poster presentation at the 2009 ISIE Conference, you are greatly encouraged to participate in the student poster competition. If your poster is co-authored, it will also be welcomed to the competition as long as a student author of your poster will be presenting it.
You can apply to entering the competition by sending an email to Junming Zhu (firstname.lastname@example.org), the co-chair for poster competition of ISIE Student Chapter from now on through May 31st. Please include the name(s) of the poster author(s), your email address and the title of your poster in the email.
In the poster sessions during the conference, student participants will be asked to give a five minutes oral presentation to the judges and answer their questions. Judges will select three winners. More details about the competition time and judging method will be released during the conference before the competition. The winners will receive a certificate, one year free membership to ISIE with electronic JIE access, and a cash prize of $200 for 1st place, $150 for 2nd place and $100 for 3rd place.
We are eager to your participation! Please send your application and any question to Junming Zhu (email@example.com).
2007 ISIE International Conference Summary
17-20 June 2007 Toronto, Canada
ISIE 07 was a great conference with networking opportunities and a chance to meet face to face everybody. Besides the full program and the social events that ISIE and the UoT organized, the student chapter managed to organize few additional events:
We are looking forward to increase the number of students and develop the student chapter more substantially in the coming year. Please be active and send us any ideas you may have. We look forward to meeting you all in GRC2008.
Photos from the Conference
Please click on one of the photos to view at full size. Photo credit to Soumya Chatterjee, Troy Hawkins, Vered Doctori, Graham Turner, Ming Xu, and Jason Rouch.
2005 ISIE International Conference
June 2005 KTH, Stockholm
Amidst beautiful Stockholm weather, the student chapter hosted several student events. The most popular student outing was the opening trip to the pub in Stockholm's old town.
Thanks to our five volunteer judges:
- Matthias Ruth
- Brynhildur Davidsdottir
- Edgar Hertwich
- Reid Lifset
- Gregory Keoleian
The objective of the student poster contest is to recognize superior research in the field of Industrial Ecology and encourage the active participation of Industrial Ecology students.
Winners received a certificate, the opportunity to present their research during the conference, one year free membership to ISIE with electronic JIE access, and a cash prize of $200 for 1st place, $150 for 2nd place and $100 for 3rd place.
Photos from the conference are also now available.
Doctoral Tutorial Session
The 'Doctoral Tutorial Session' was held in conjunction with the GRC short courses.
The session was split into two main sections:
Section (1) Beginning the journey through graduate school as an IEer
for 1st through 2nd year graduate students interested in general grad school topics
Graduate students currently enrolled in IE programs will provide an overview of what is expected from you through your journey as a Masters/PhD student in the field of IE. Get some advice from the elders - how to balance your time, what's involved in generating a proposal/thesis/papers & taking your Qualifying exams. Get answers to your questions! This section will focus on discussion between the audience and panelists, who will entertain any questions/ comments you may have (Q&A session)
Section (2) Presentation practice with constructive feedback
for graduate students wanting feedback on proposals or research plans
If you have a draft proposal or initial research plan, this session will allow you to get feedback from a panel of ISIE members. Students can sign up for the opportunity to informally present (10-15 min. presentations) their research in a nonstressful and casual environment to a small panel of ISIE members who have a background in the student's field of interest. This is a great opportunity to receive feedback on your current research and formulate future goals!!!
A Student Chapter resume book was available at the registration area.