Title: Expert on sustainable consumption and production
Institution: BEUC The European Consumer Organisation
Deadline: September 4, 2014
Expert on sustainable consumption and production
(6 months short-term contract)
BEUC, the European Consumer Organisation, and EEB, the European Environmental Bureau, are looking for a joint expert on sustainable consumption and production.
BEUC, the European Consumer Organisation has a membership of 40 well respected, independent national consumer organisations from 31 European countries. BEUC acts as the umbrella group in Brussels for these organisations and our main task is to represent our members and defend the interests of all Europe’s consumers. The European Environmental Bureau (EEB) is a federation of over 140 environmental citizens’ organisations based in most EU Member States. EEB’s aim is to protect and improve the environment by influencing EU policy, promoting sustainable development objectives and ensuring that Europe’s citizens can play a part in achieving these goals.
The position will require:
1) Supporting BEUC’s campaign on durable goods:
- Preparing a public conference
- Drafting an internal newsletter related to sustainability issues
2) Supporting initially the joint BEUC/ EEB EU Ecolabel Project Coordinator and taking the full lead on this project as of January 2015:
- Representing BEUC and EEB in the EU Ecolabel Board.
- Selecting and managing external technical experts.
- Supervising the submission of technical comments to ad-hoc working groups.
- Drafting joint policy positions based on external technical input.
- Informing members about key developments in the Ecolabel scheme.
- Collaborating with other NGOs at national and European level.
The main qualifications we are looking for are:
- a technical background/ higher education degree relevant to environment, in particular to the fields of environmental policy assessment and life cycle assessment
- sound understanding of environmental and sustainability issues related to product policy
- at least three years relevant experience working as Policy Officer in the environment sector
- experience in lobbying the EU institutions
- experience in implementing projects
- good understanding of consumer issues and a commitment to advancing the interests of consumers;
- ability to write and communicate well in English, knowledge of other EU languages being an advantage;
- In particular, ability to translate complex technical evidence into a logical argument that can be understood by a wider audience;
- ability to work well with people from different backgrounds.
- We offer:
- a multidisciplinary and multicultural working environment within organisations dedicated to the promotion of European consumer interests and protecting the environment;
- a non-routine job implying action on several topics related to sustainable product policy
- networking opportunities with numerous organisations in the EU Member States and beyond;
- a full-time fixed term contract of initially 6 months, possibly renewable. Starting date 13 October 2014 at the latest.
Applications for the post, accompanied by a detailed C.V. should be sent by e-mail before 4 September 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Expert on sustainable consumption and production. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.